[ale] butt kicking

Ronald Chmara ron at Opus1.COM
Sat Jan 24 06:01:49 EST 2004

On Jan 24, 2004, at 5:39 AM, Geoffrey wrote:
> The scarry part of this is:
>
> "At the forum itself, Gates announced a partnership with the United
> Nations (news - web sites) to bring computer technology and literacy
> to developing countries.
>
> Drawing on a $1 billion Microsoft fund, the U.S. software giant will
> work with the U.N. Development Program to provide software, computer
> training and cash to establish computer centers in poor communities,
> starting with pilot projects in Egypt, Mozambique and Morocco."
>
> We all know his purpose behind this effort.

Yup. Of course, he runs into a wall with most countries, as software
development is stymied by porting the UI to local languages. (See
Office-in-Hebrew lawsuits)

Linux still wins. :-) Once there is a proficient computer user who
knows enough english (or whatever, if not english usually french, or
maybe cantonese, etc.) terms, and wants a localized version, windows
fails.

Linux allows, and in many projects encourages, language ports. Windows
can't, yet (at least not at the same level).

-Bop