[ale] Serial Printer

Nick Travis lists at wormfishin.com
Thu Jan 22 19:09:00 EST 2004

I've got the cable, acutally its 2 converters that use an ethernet cable
inbetween, this is how the printer was setup originally, I can get the
printer to work fine over the parallel port, but I'm not getting anything
from the serial port, I checked the serial settings on the printer:
Parity                                      None
Serial Data 7/8 Bits                  8 Bits
Protocol                                  X-ON/X-OFF
Busy Line                                SSD+
Baud Rate                                9600BPS
DSR Signal                              Invalid
DTR Signal                              Ready on Power UP
Emulation mode                        IBM PPR

I've tried changing several of these but havn't had any luck, I put it back
how it originally was(above settings).

This is my /etc/cups/printers.conf file (the printer dot-s is the serial,
dot_1 is the same printer when setup on the parallel interface)

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.1.19
# Written by cupsd on Thu 22 Jan 2004 06:56:48 PM EST
<Printer dot-s>
Info
Location
DeviceURI serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=9600+bits=8+parity=none+flow=soft
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>
<DefaultPrinter dot_1>
Info
Location
DeviceURI parallel:/dev/lp0
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>

I verified my serial ports were active:
[root at localhost etc]# dmesg | grep tty
ttyS0 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS1 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

Anyone have any ideas?  Is there a command to do something simular to an IP
ping for serial to tell if the cable is working?

Nick