[ale] USB->IDE problems

Stephan Uphoff ups at stups.com
Wed Jan 21 14:35:04 EST 2004

You might also want to disable write caching on the ide drive.
This will probably kill your write speed and is rumored to shorten the
lifespan of the drive.
However all filesystems (journaled or not) depend on ordered writes
for file system integrity.
Write buffering reorders writes and can on power failure (unplug)
leave the filesystem in a state not expected by the recovery tools. (fsck)

You might also get an unreadable sector if you unplug the drive while it is
writing
... but there is nothing you can do about it.

	Stephan