[ale] Open Source Apps

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sat Jan 17 02:12:19 EST 2004

On Friday 16 January 2004 18:51, Greg wrote:
> I just don't think that 99.9% of US home computer users *want* linux or
> anything else.   I think that 99.9% of the time 99.9% of the people will
> pick/choose/want/insist upon MS. [snip]

The real problem is that the majority of any percentage of consumers who might
currently settle for the marginal products of Micro$haft (whether the number
is factually stated or a 99.9% fabrication) have never had an opportunity to
receive honest, informative exposure to any of the alternatives.  The
extortionist, exclusionary criminal monoply obstructions of Micro$haft
corrupt the free market to the extent that most people have little
significant access to experiencing,  comparing,  purchasing or using any
computing platform alternatives. .

While geeks may exhibit a special appreciation for the more esoteric aspects
of the computer gadgets and gizmos world, their basic consumer requisites are
the same as they are for any other technology consumer: they want a reliable,
open, comprehensible and secure product from a company or community that
respects, appreciates and supports their patronage. Informed technology
consumers know that Micro$haft fails to offer real advantages in any of those
critical points.

The arguments come back to a frequently prooven failing of capitalist systems.
Simply stated, competitor exclusion becomes easier to pursue than product
excellence when there are few ethical consequences to mediate the greed
motive.

peace
aaron