[ale] Open Source Apps

ChangingLINKS.com groups at ChangingLINKS.com
Fri Jan 16 15:20:07 EST 2004

I have a friend who told me I could get a 3.2gig Dell server with 128RAM for $300
- so I became intensely interested in buying a Dell recently.

(PowerEdgeTM  400SC Small Business Value (1-4 users)
Intel? Celeron? Processor at 2.0GHz, 128KB Cache, 400MHz FSB
No Operating System, Microsoft 128MB DDR, ECC, 400MHz, 1X128MB
40GB 7.2K RPM IDE Hard Drive Featured at $499
$299  [After $100 Instant Savings and $100 Mail-in Rebate] Limited time offer.
-and they had what LOOKED like a free upgrade to a 3.2 gig processor)

As you can see with this link:
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=pe400scsapp&s=bsd
one can easily buy a Dell with "Linux 9" on it. Or with "No Operating System, Red Hat Linux Configuration."

To make a long story short, the fine print in the "Dell Deal" made the computer much
more expensive, and I did not purchase one. I ended up adding a gig of DDR ram to my
current box and was satisfied with that performance improvement.

Reason for Posting:
While I do not endorse Dell, we should check the facts BEFORE criticizing companies
for their "lack" of Linux.

HP also seems to offer boxes with "no OS" (WITH a big price difference):
http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/ctoBases.asp?ProductLineId=431&FamilyId=1435&Jumpid=re_hphqiss/ELS_Buy/tc2120

Neither company is cramming Linux down the throats of home users . . . . but would WE as
a community really want that . . .  to be more like M$FT?
Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com