[ale] Offsite backup

da Black Baron dbaron13 at atl.bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 11 11:31:25 EST 2004

You could always run no-ip on it.  It would allow you to access it
through regular DNS....

On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 19:03, Chris Fowler wrote:
> I plan on installing a Linux machine at my father's house to be an
> offsite backup.  It will be sitting on a private lan behind a SMC
> wireless router.  The router is attached to Comcast.  I need some way of
> having this box report to me every day what its IP address is.
>
> One idea is to write a client/server app in perl that will simply send a
> hello UDP packet.  I can then parse the source address from that packet.
> Then the perl script will update my /etc/hosts file on my server in
> Buford.  He lives in Lincolnton, NC.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

(,,oBo,,)         |           Wylde  Bill
http://lyst.org   |    wyldechylde at geocities.com

"Here's my family tree.  As far as I can tell, my
relatives were carnival folk who were touring this place called
Hiroshima in the summer of 1945.  Because they lost most of their hair,
they mostly married each other.  And here I am." --The Oblongs

                D.E.A. = State Sponsored Terrorism
          Disempowering government means empowering people.
        http://flag.blackened.net/daver/anarchism/nlm/nlm.html