[ale] Offsite backup

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Sat Jan 10 19:07:00 EST 2004

I plan on installing a Linux machine at my father's house to be an
offsite backup.  It will be sitting on a private lan behind a SMC
wireless router.  The router is attached to Comcast.  I need some way of
having this box report to me every day what its IP address is.

One idea is to write a client/server app in perl that will simply send a
hello UDP packet.  I can then parse the source address from that packet.
Then the perl script will update my /etc/hosts file on my server in
Buford.  He lives in Lincolnton, NC.

Thanks,
Chris