[ale] OT: Mortgage and Privacy?

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Mon Jan 5 16:08:42 EST 2004

apparently my mortgage has been sold to another institution (Chase Manhattan
Mortgage Corporation).  while skimming over the paperwork i notice the
following:

(the complete privacy policy is at:
www.chase.com/privacy)

Q. Is information about me shared within the Chase family of companies?
A. Yes

(well i would assume that is a given... but then i find:)

Q. Is information about me shared with service providers and financial
companies outside of Chase?
A. Yes.  We may share information about you with outside companies that work
for Chase.  These may include marketing firms.  We may also share
information about you with outside financial companies that have a joint
marketing agreements with us.

Q. Is information about me shared with non-financial companies?
A. Yes.  But we strictly limit the information we share with companies
making non-financial offers.

(well i would guess they wouldn't want to sell my information to anyone that
could undercut their business...)

Q. Is information about me shared in any other ways?
A. Yes.  We may also share information about you as required or premitted by
law.

neat.  somehow i have bought (or am buying?) the privledge of assisting
someone with their marketing research.  of course the "do not call" list
does not apply since they are directly affiliated with me.

i am going to try and opt out of as much as i can, but how do others deal
with this annoyance?

preston