[ale] flat screen monitors on RH9

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Sat Jan 3 20:54:56 EST 2004

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 03:43:02PM -0500, walter Sams wrote:
> oops, its that lack of knowledge thing again  :)

> I want to get the lcd type so I can get the ultra thin monitor that
> doesnt take up so much space on the desktop.

	I've been using the NEC LCD 1712 17" LCD monitor that's available
from Sam's for about $380 and I love it.  Runs to 1280x1024 no problem.  Only
real problem I've run into is with a couple of systems (the monitor is on
a 24 port KVM array - 3 Belkin 8 port switches).  It does NOT like VooDoo
3500 video cards.  One system has one and I tried setting up a second one with
one.  Neither card would display character mode (graphics mode would work
at 1280x1024, though) so the virtual consoles where out.  It also won't display
my Sparc systems (a Sparc 768, a Sparc Ultra 5, and a couple of Sparc 2s)
at all.  I've got bigger problems with keyboard "builds" (Stop-A anyone)
using the adapters to the Sparc boxen, so I'm use to them giving me fits.

> Thanks
> Walter Sams

	Mike