[ale] OT - ViewSoniic A90f+ Monitor

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sun Feb 29 12:32:20 EST 2004

On Sunday 29 February 2004 02:55, Nathan J. Underwood wrote:
> Well, no response yet from my email to the Viewsonic folks, but I did
> try cranking down the refresh rate.  Now, I had always thought that a
> higher refresh rate was better for the eyes, so I would crank the
> monitor up, generally the setting just below max.  I bumped this down to
> 60Hz, and it does seem to be a little crisper.  I'm going to give it a
> day or two to verify.
>
> nathan

I've always understood the "frame rate" of the human eye to be around 55-65
frames per second depending on person and conditions. Of course, being fuzzy
logic aqueous analog computational systems, our perceptions are not so simply
quantified or defined. For example, some people are hugely sensitive to the
60 hz fluorescent light flicker, but most are not uncomfortable with it;
there a dozens of factors surrounding human visual acuity.

I'm just noting that to say that there is a good possibility that your wet
works may filter the monitor screen to a sharper image at a lower scan or
frame rate.

Then again, it may also be that the electro magnets that are rapidly steering
the electron gun across the micron sized phosphor dots are exhibiting
harmonic distortions or introducing noise at the higher flux oscillation
rates.

It's all relative to what you see and what the equipment can produce, so use
whatever settings strike the best compromise for both.

peace
aaron