[ale] got hacked

Thu Feb 26 20:45:07 EST 2004

Geoffrey wrote:

> Emil P. Man wrote:
>
>> alers,
>>
>> okay I am so embarassed to come to you guys with this, but I got
>> hacked :( Secure OS, bad Sysadmin from my part. I was running some
>> tests on my postfix MTA and just glanced at the logs. I became a spam
>> relay for sure :(
>> now the question is, what do i do? I need to secure this box, amd I
>> would like to know if you guys have seen a howto on securing your box
>> so it doesn't get turned into a spam box like mine did :(
>

> Are you sure you've been hacked or is it simply poor email config?  If
> you've truly been hacked, you should reinstall.

okay, it is just poor e-mail config. I ran a network security scan
against the machine and it seems that the smtp server (postfix) allows
relaying from the outside. Hope I fixed it now, here is a little output
from #postsuper -d ALL:
Feb 26 18:53:40 synban postfix/postsuper[1672]: Deleted: 91578 messages
that was the postfix queue... GOD!
Emil