[ale] how to create user with no password

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Feb 26 10:52:50 EST 2004

Armsby John-G16665 wrote:
> All,
>
> I am running an out of the box redhat 9.  I am required to set up an
> account for corporate "bdnaadmin' with NO PASSWORD.  It seems that
> the GUI (how embarassing for me) requires a password.  I have tried
> deleting the account, then using "adduser bdnaadmin".  RedHat put one
> in for me...

Actually you have two options.  Editing the /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow
and removing the password, the id will not be prompted for a password.
If you change the password as root, just hit return, it might complain
about the password, but hit return again anyway and then the user will
be prompted for a password and be required to simply hit return.