[ale] Wierd Samba problem

Jim Lynch jwl at sgi.com
Thu Feb 26 09:26:11 EST 2004

We had a power failure overnight and one of my Linux boxes rebooted.  My
win2k system was hosed 'cause the samba share went missing so I had to
reboot it.  It's on a UPS so it didn't go down.  When win2k came back up, I
tried to map the samba drive and it wouldn't map.  Told me I had a bad pw
or user name.   To make a long story short, I had to change my samba
password on the Linux box to be the same as my 2k password.  Then it
worked.   We have password expiration on the MS systems here and the other
day I was required to change it.  But I've rebooted 2k a couple of times
and I was able to map the share OK then.  It wasn't until the Linux box
rebooted that I ran into a problem.

Can anyone shed light on this seemingly strange behavior?  I assume I've
got something weird in my smb.conf file.

Thanks,
Jim.