[ale] Linux vs XP Embedded

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche bjorn at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Tue Feb 24 09:47:42 EST 2004

I'm no expert but I've done a bit of research on the topic. If you are not
doing serious real-time, either OS should be fine as far as scheduling.
You can expect simmilar performance and latency out of them and you'll
have to actually do benchmarking to determine which performs better with
the hardware in question. Linux is a joy to program and some people really
like to program windows, too, so I would make that decision based on the
experience/preferance of the admins/programmers and, ahem, the need for
reliability.

FreeBSD is another great option for high performance/small footprint/no
charge. It's got great threading and very good latency and linux binary
comatibility which, in amny cases, outperforms "real" Linux.

If XP/Linux 2.6/FreeBSD won't cut it in the scheduling department, you
need something more serious. You can't do better than QNX. QNX is really
quite increadible. It's posix compliant, real-time, well supported and if
you need to write your own drivers for anything, it will take much less
time in QNX than anything else because the drivers run in protected
memory space.

The "real-time"  versions of linux don't use the same userland API's as
normal processes, so I'm told that as a result they are difficult to
program and have some annoying restrictions, so I would stay away from
that.

	bjorn