[ale] Laptop questions before purchase.

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 24 08:48:30 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 07:44, Joe Story wrote:
> I've come across a Gateway DS 450 x.  Here are some of the specs.
>
> Intel? PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B(installed in Mini PCI slot)

No. See these:
http://www.tuxmobil.org/Mobile-Guide.db/mobile-guide-p2c1s1-centrino.html http://www.intel.com/support/notebook/centrino/os.htm

> ?
> Intel 82540EM ethernet adaptor

Most likely, but I'm not 100% sure.

> Combo DVD/CDRW - 8X/24X/12X/24X

Yes

> Pentium M processor

Yes (my experience: Fedora or Kernel 2.6)

> ATI M7?

Don't know.

> And this is all the information I can get from gateway.com using the
> serial number from the invoice I was shown.  The laptop is still boxed
> and there is a 3yr onsite/labor/parts tick-tocking away.

> Anyone here experienced with similiar hardware in Linux?  I'm mostly
> concerned that the wireless card is not going to work well.  Does
> driverloader from linuxant.com work well?

I kept experiencing freezes.  I gave up debugging it, choosing to use my
PCMCIA Orinico card until Intel releases their drivers.