[ale] Debian. Grr.

Joe Knapka jknapka at kneuro.net
Sun Feb 22 15:37:22 EST 2004

"Greg" <runman at speedfactory.net> writes:

> I have been installing Debian on 2 boxes since yesterday in preparation for
> a big RH --> Debian switch in my home servers and I would suggest installing
> Libranet and then apt-get update and apt-get -upgrade to a stable system.  I
> then went into my sources and used the "testing" directories to get to a
> "testing" (Sarge) OS since I need more modern versions of Samba, apache,
> mdadm (couldn't get it to work on Woody - even after upgrading to Sarge on
> another machine).  It is running now, but I feel I am close to getting
> *everthing* updated to Sarge.
>
> I would suggest starting with Libranet for an initial install.

Burned a Libranet CD, tried to install. I had two problems:

(1) when I told it to "automatically partition", it layed the entire
8G drive out as a single / partition, and subsequently couldn't boot
because (apparently) parts of the kernel image landed in cylinders >
1023. The "automatic partitioning" really should create a small /boot
partition at the beginning of the disk.  When I partitioned by hand
and did that, it booted fine.

(2) It can't install any packages from the CD during the initial
setup. The informative "Package error occurred" error occurs.

Ah well.  Back to the Debian "stable" install, which I will
attempt to do from the network this time.

-- Joe