[ale] Debian. Grr.

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Feb 22 12:56:44 EST 2004

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 02:59:04AM -0500, Joe Knapka wrote:
> I'm trying once again to install Debian. My last attempt was in maybe
> '98 or so, and ended in frustration before I even got the machine to
> boot. This attempt is on the verge of ending in frustration, though
> the machine *has* booted a minimal Debian system from the HD.

One reason I stayed away from Debian so long.

> The main problem I'm having is that "tasksel" and "dselect" seem to be
> user-unfriendly in the extreme.

Ohh. Bad way to do it. Let me show you painless: The Knoppix HD install.

It trivial:

1) Get a recent Knoppix disk from www.knoppix.net
2) Boot up and su to root
3) Run knoppix-installer and answer the brief questions it asks.
4) Let it whir away. It'll install a Debian unstable from the knoppix CD.
5) After rebooting, run apt-get update and get everything updated.
6) Voila! you're done.

The HOWTO is here:

http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html

Use knoppix-installer instead of knx-hdinstall as it's a updated tool with a
better user intderface.

Good luck!

BAJ