[ale] OT: Running computers in an older home (read older circuitry)

Jim Lynch jwl at sgi.com
Thu Feb 19 15:16:18 EST 2004

John,

It probably depends on how big the service is.  It's possible the service
was only 30-60 amps when the house was built.  An absolute minimum for
today is 100.  Since you mentioned it has circuit breakers, I suspect they
might have upgraded the service (hope so) when the built the addition.  If
your electrical usage is small (gas hot water and oven, for instance) you
will be able to get by with 100 amp service.  But if it is an all electric
house, I'd factor upgrading to 200 amps into your budget soon.   As far as
computing equipment is concerned, unless you're going to run some big
servers, like a rack's worth.  Don't worry about it.  All that stuff will
hang off of a standard 15 A circuit without any trouble. I run 3 computers,
modem, vpn, router, printer, scanner, a ham radio station consisting of a
12V 20A power supply, a 100 W output transceiver, an antenna rotator, a
desk lamp and a 600 watt amplifier from one 15 A circuit.  I think that's
all. 8)

Simply put, supplying your computer shouldn't be a big deal.  If it is,
then you've got bigger problems.

Jim.