[ale] OT: Running computers in an older home (read older circuitry)

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Thu Feb 19 13:48:35 EST 2004

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 01:19:09PM -0500, Doug McNash wrote:
> to ground, typically at the breaker box and that ground is tied to the
> six foot ground rod driven in to the earth just outside your house and
> also connected to your plumbing.

One house I lived in had no grounding at all in the wall outlets.  What
we ended up doing was sinking a ~four foot copper pipe into our garden
(where the ground would always be damp == more conductive), soldered a
wire to it, then looped that wire around the side of the (concrete)
house, and vampire tapped it into the rooms that needed it -- mainly the
kitchen and rooms with computers.

I no longer had to worry about going barefoot after we did that.
*grins*

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy        				 ICQ: 1318344