[ale] OT: Running computers in an older home (read older circuitry)

Doug McNash dmcnash at charter.net
Thu Feb 19 13:21:24 EST 2004

The third prong ground is for safety, not for any operating reasons.  It
is connected to the case.  In the event of a short it provides a low
impedance path for the current and quickly trips the circuit breaker or
blows the fuse.  Of course the whole idea falls apart if you don't have
proper fuses or breakers.  Without it, a short could cause the case to
become "hot" - in the electrical sense - and potential to deliver a
painful shock.  At some point the ground and neutral wires are connected
to ground, typically at the breaker box and that ground is tied to the
six foot ground rod driven in to the earth just outside your house and
also connected to your plumbing.

That's how it has been explained to me.  I personally don't see that
much of a cost/safety benefit to a refit. But I have never had my house
burn down and have survived many many shocks.