[ale] [OT] PHP Question

Nathan J. Underwood lists at cybertechcafe.net
Tue Feb 17 15:12:46 EST 2004

Is there a way to say "Just give me the first n characters of a string"
in PHP?  For example, if the string was "johndoe", and I just wanted the
first 3 characters, or "joh"?  I think I could do it with some kind of
regex, but I can't seem to come up with one that works.  It will be used
in a MySQL query when it's done, like the following:

$string = "johndoe";
$newstring = justgivemetheleft3($string);

$query = "SELECT * from table where name like "$newstring%"

I can't say give me everything that matches johndoe, because some of
them are john doe, some are john_doe, some are john, etc.  But, the
first 3 will always be right.