[ale] OT: One-time use digital cameras

Kevin Krumwiede kjkrum at comcast.net
Sun Feb 15 21:44:52 EST 2004

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 08:42:24 -0500
"Dan Lambert" <danlambert at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Right now, I'm thinking about the Sony DSC-F828. I need an SLR, and
> the 8 mpxl is the picture quality I'm after.

I haven't had a chance to play with the F828.  I work in a relatively
small Ritz store and we don't keep everything in stock.  In general, my
advice is to get only as much camera as you *need* *right now*.  There
will always be something better right around the corner, and you pay a
high price for the latest and greatest when it may be only marginally
better.  If you came into my store, the first thing I'd try to figure
out is why you think you need an 8MP SLR.  (Because some people think
they need that much to get a decent 8x10... I blame the advertisers.)

That said, I think the F828 is an amazing camera for the price.  Even if
you don't really need 8MP, the lens alone is worth it.  For various
reasons (engineering difficulties, weight, price...) they simply don't
make lenses with that kind zoom and aperture range for traditional SLRs.
 It's possible on a digital in part because of the smaller size of the
image sensor.  About the closest film equivalent would be a 70-200
f/2.8, and those can easily cost you well over $1000 for the lens alone.

Krum