[ale] Kernel comparison: Web serving on 2.4 and 2.6

attriel attriel at d20boards.net
Fri Feb 13 10:06:25 EST 2004

> On Thursday 12 February 2004 06:16 pm, matty91 at bellsouth.net wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Eric VanWieren wrote:
>> > The question we should be asking now is when are all of the major
>> > distrobutions going to be releasing thier copy of the 2.6 kernel...
>> >
>> > And will it be stable?
>>
>> From the information I have read, the 2.6 kernel is not yet
>> considered "stable" in the sense of the word. I think Fedora
>> has April/May targeted to include 2.6 and Gnome 2.6 (if it's out
>> by then). Not sure about the other distros.

Slackware has said, since either 9.0 or 9.1, that it is "2.6 ready" (but
ships with a 2.4)

That said, I just reinstalled my desktop and compiled me up a 2.6 kernel,
and actually had fewer boot errors than with the original ;o  Everything
running fine, but then it's a desktop not a number cruncher or a server.

But I did find that bsd-games comes with mille borne now, so I don't even
mind losing solitaire ;)

--attriel