[ale] c++, dynamic linking etc.

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche bjorn at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed Feb 11 10:04:48 EST 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Alan Stewart wrote:

> I don't use any options that have anything to do with dynamic linking
> (that I'm aware of). Examining my makefile, the link stage resolves to this:
>
> g++ -Wall -Wno-format -ggdb -march=pentium -o $(target) $(objs) -lz -ll
> -ltiff

Strange: that's pretty much what I was using. On the advice of someone on
another list, I'm now using gcc -lstdc++ and it works like I want it to
except that I get a bunch of warnings about type mismatches, and I hate
getting warnings.

> No, I'm building for internal use. Maybe your /etc/ld.so.conf is
> incorrect and the shared version of the library is not being found? I

It seems right, I don't think that's the problem.

> don't normally deal with this kind of stuff, but my sysadmin says to
> look up 'ldconfig' in the man pages.

I've looked that up to no avail, but thanks for the help!