[ale] Re: Python web programming

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Wed Feb 11 08:55:16 EST 2004

Experiences of Using PHP in Large Websites

http://www.ukuug.org/events/linux2002/papers/html/php/index.html

>From the conclusion:

      For more experienced developers, though, the language's
      simplicity rapidly turns into complexity, slowing down the
      development process. These developers are the ones who have the
      skills needed to build large and/or complex websites; using PHP
      for such sites therefore tends to be a net loss. This tendency
      is reinforced by PHP's lack of the linguistic features needed to
      promote working on large software projects. If your project is
      at all large or complex, it may be better to look elsewhere when
      choosing an implementation language.

Personally, I'd go with either HTML::Mason (http://masonhq.com/) or
Template Toolkit (http://template-toolkit.org/).  ORA has books on
both (although I've yet to pick up the TT one; the Mason one is
available online at http://masonbook.com/ and the dead tree version is
handy).  Mason is a bit more PHP-y in that you can wind up tying your
code and presentation together fairly tightly, while TT tends to lend
itself more to a tiered approach with code seperate and hidden from
the presentation side (not that you can't do either style in either
one, just the way they happen to work).  Personally I use Mason for
web stuff since it's closer to straight perl, but I've almost
forgotten how to write m4 since learning TT and tend to use it
anywhere I need templating in a non-web context.

If you're set on Python, definately look into Zope (and you have my
condolences :).