Python web programming (was Re: [ale] C#)

John Wells jb at devsea.com
Tue Feb 10 20:45:31 EST 2004

On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 15:43, cfowler wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 15:19, Benjamin Scherrey wrote:
> > Do it in python. You get an even easier language to use than java, all
> > the platform independence (and perhaps more), and can always plug in
> > some C/C++ stuff in the backend if performance becomes an issue. I'm
> > doing all my web development in python now using mod_python and
> > quixote. Database connectivity is great as well which is better than
> > I can say for java or C# (although I'll be interested when a good
> > implementation of jdo comes out).

Really?  Strange...I think jdbc provides particularly good database
connectivity.

How's your experience with python and web programming?  I'm sort of
mapping out our shop's "standard" webdev language...leaning towards PHP
when 5 makes it out of beta.  Still, I'm a python fan, but have never
really done much web programming with it. Always seems like there were
20 different projects going in 20 different directions, and it was very
hard to determine which would garner more support in the long term and
become the sort of "standard".  I'm fine with using lesser known
projects personally, but when making a decision for the enterprise, I'd
like to be very careful in this regard to choose something with
longevity.

While I think PHP5 will be a strong contender due to the arrival of a
rather full set of OO features, if I were a betting man, I'd say there's
a strong possibility will ultimately end up a Java shop.  I've been very
impressed by two things from the Java community: a. the quality of
software being produced by a number of different projects/groups,
particularly those out of the Jakarta project, and b. the high level of
community support and participation.

Anyway, interested to hear your comments/experiences.  Thanks!

John