[ale] Linux hardware

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Mon Feb 9 14:26:03 EST 2004

MB>Where does one go to spec out Linux hardware? Never actually tried it
this way, but I need a full system put together and I want the latest
hardware available that will stably run Linux.

haven't used this in a while, but:

 URL  = "http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/"
  Title = "redhat.com | Red Hat Hardware Compatibility List"
  Snippet = " ... Click here for Red Hat Linux 9 hardware compatibility
information. Complete Listing All hardware listings for Red Hat Linux,
sorted by manufacturer. ...  "
also another that i find ironically funny:

  URL  =
"http://groups.msn.com/TheCompleteComputerResource/linuxhardwarecompatabilit
ylist.msnw"
  Title = "The Complete Computer Resource"
  Snippet = " ... This is the quickest way to find hardware that is
certified to run Red Hat Linux. ... All hardware listings for Red Hat Linux,
sorted by manufacturer. ...  "

i love the idea of a linux compatability list in a MSN groups setting.
possibly the same list as the redhat, but still fun...

SuSE (Suse, SUSE???) also has a database and others typically show theirs
somewhere on their pages.  here is a links page with more...

  URL  = "http://www.aklug.org/links.mtml"
  Title = "AKLUG - Alaska Linux Users Group"
  Snippet = " ... Compatability Database; SuSE Hardware Compatability
Database; Mandrake Hardware Compatability List; Caldera OpenLinux Hardware
Compatability List. Linux News. ...  "

unable to check these myself, but maybe these will give you a start.

-
preston