[ale]OT It begins...

Chris Farris jcf at primeharbor.com
Wed Feb 4 04:53:01 EST 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 19:30, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> Ok. So . . . ..
> It seems as though we recently resolved that obfuscating our email addresses
> in the archives is easy to impliment and desired amoung members as a way to
> combat email and *help* prevent new and current members from being spam.

You can resolve all you want. I'm the one with root.

I've noticed that pipermail has started working. I have no idea why, but
it is quite irratating as I spent along time getting it to work with no
success. Either way From 9/3/03 onward the pipermail archives exist and
perform basic obfuscation. This does not solve the following problems
however:

1. Most of the addresses have already been harvested once an address
gets on a spam list it is traded around the spammer community. Pandora's
box is wide open.
2. Google probably has indexed the whole list and has that cached.
3. I suspect there are other archives lurking out there
4. The old archives still have email addrs in them

If someone wants to write a little perl script that traverses a
directory structure, takes each html file, obfuscates any email addrs;
writes that file to /tmp/something; then moves that file back into place
- I'll run it on the archives. Make sure the file perms are 644.

Chris