[ale]OT It begins...

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Feb 4 09:08:34 EST 2004

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 19:54, Geoffrey wrote:
>

>>Why not?
>>
>>As long as the obfuscation has a general approach, folks checking the
>>archives should be able to translate it to the proper addr.
>

> google for "security through obscurity".

I am not stupid.  We are not attempting to secure it, but obfuscate it.
  What the hell do you think obfuscate means?  From Merriam Webster:

obfuscate: to make obscure

>>I don't think the need is to encrypt the addys, just obfuscate them,
>>which would require a manual process to translate back.
>

> There will also be email addresses perfectly suited for the archives.
> IE: ale at ale.org, ale-admin at ale.org, my.senator at us.gov,
> linux-help at sf.net, etc, etc.   Would you remove/obfuscate those so that
> it breaks everyone's mailto handler?

As previously noted, the purpose of the addresses that were included in
the original post would meet the purposes of the posting.  So, yes, I would.