[ale] eMachines AMD64 notebook

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Feb 2 06:03:50 EST 2004

Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 - Linux-usable?  Closed driver?

For laptops, ATI generally refers you to the manufacturer of the laptop,
but this link might provide some hope:

http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/linux/radeon-linux.html?type=linux&prodType=graphic&prod=productsLINUXdriver&submit.x=11&submit.y=10&submit=GO%21

It's long and ugly, but a link to ati closed driver for the non-mobility
9600.  Also check out the gatos project.

> 1280 x 800 screen - how sucky?  I can dig the aspect ratio, but not
> because of DVD-watching - it's more a matter of having things like a
> browser window up on one side and an OO window up in the other.
>
> It says "Built-in high-speed wireless networking (802.11g/b-compliant);
> integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN; V.92 high-speed modem" - can I expect
> that none of these will necessarily work under Linux?  I do plan to use
> the 802.11 part of the time, even if I need to buy a known good PCMCIA
> 802.11 card.

the nic and modem could well work, the wireless is more likely going to
be an issue.  It all depends on the chipsets.

> "Pointing Device:  Touchpad with vertical scroll zone" - I'm likely to
> pick up a real mouse (awesome if there's a way to do that wirelessly)
> for my laptop but it'd sure be nice if this functioned, especially the
> scroll pad and the tap/double-tap for mouse clicks.

I've seen a couple of different wireless mice designed for laptops,
haven't tried one yet though.

> Related questions:
>
> Would I be happier if I got one of the hyperthreading P4s instead, to
> include one with better screen resolution even if it's 4:3 ratio?

Can't help you with that one. :(  Although I think the need for a 64 bit
processor is still questionable.