[ale] [OT] Seeking Maxtor Hard Drive (was WD HD)

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Fri Dec 31 18:52:06 EST 2004

On Friday 31 December 2004 04:26 pm, Alan Dobkin wrote:

> I am in a similar situation as Tom was a few weeks ago and am looking
> for a Maxtor 10 GB IDE HD to replace the electronics. ?The drive is a
> model 91080D5 and seems to be dated 120597 (not sure if that's a date,
> as in 12/05/1997, or just a coincidental code). ?I will also gladly pay
> for the drive either to buy it or just borrow it to transfer the data
> off.

Seems to be a trend... Had intended to reply back to the list about this.
I'm the one who had the spare 10 GIG which matched Tom's. Brought it in
from the barn and let it warm up to room temperature overnight. Booted it
the next morning, posted to the list that it was working... and it died
less than five minutes later! Fortunately for him I had a second one
(identical but still in use) and  decided I no longer trusted it. So the
story had a happy ending;

"[...] went to the client's site, moved the drive electronics from
your drive to theirs (peeling back the foam layer, I could see a burned
area on their circuit board), I was then able to mount the drive in
Knoppix and copy over 600 MB of precious files to an external USB
drive.   Need I mention they were thrilled?"

Hope you find one.
--
William