[ale] New Topic

Jonathan Rickman jrickman at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 09:34:24 EST 2004

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:01:22 -0500, Christopher Fowler
<cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:

> Read above article and discuss.  I've always wanted an iMac ever since
> Jobs went to a UNIX platform.  I want a laptop that is created to run
> UNIX not  UNIX that is massaged to run on a laptop.  My problem with
> PC's is that there is always a piece of hardware not supported and
> sometimes running Linux on them can cause issues.  But I just can not
> get myself to spend that much on a laptop when I can buy a PC based
> laptop that is extremely fast and has many benefits.

Dvorak is a babbling, incoherent, washed up PC promoter who has been
helping to perpetuate the idea that "no, this time it is really
over...the mac is dying" for the last decade. Meanwhile Apple
continues to sell more units every year. Now we have this idea that
since their market share dropped a bit this year that it means fewer
macs sold. Fraid not, Apple is selling more macs than ever. Now the
scary part is that with the introduction of Tiger (OS 10.4) and Oracle
10g for OS X, the macs will become a serious contender in the
enterprise market as soon as we start to see IBM (yes, IBM!) start
offering support for them. The truth of the matter is that Apple, and
the lowly Mac, are positioned to become a driving force in the
computing industry again. It takes a while to draw all the lines that
connect the dots, but the signs point to Apple becoming a serious
player at home, work, and anywhere else silicon is used to process
information. I'm not a big mac guy, but I've been playing with the
Tiger beta for a few weeks now and I have been more impressed by this
OS than I have ever been by anything done in lintel/wintel
country...Solaris 10 included. How well it scales remains to be seen,
but I suspect that somewhere deep inside an IBM facility there is a
big pSeries machine running OS X (or at least Darwin) to investigate
that very thing. Apple has the reputation for being overpriced, but
before you convince yourself of that you should probably read this:

http://osopinion.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=3095&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

and this:

http://osopinion.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=3133&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Now go on over to the Apple web site and price out 2 XServe G5 boxes
maxed out on RAM and CPU with an XServe RAID box maxed out at 5.6 TB.
Compare that to the best you can get from Dell. Hint: One will be 5
figures, and the other 6. :)

Apple has certainly got my attention, despite what Dvorak may say.

--
Jonathan