[ale] OT: H1B: PLEASE DISREGARD EARLIER POSTS

Jonathan Rickman jrickman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 12:14:56 EST 2004

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:01:32 -0600 (CST), Dylan Northrup <docx at io.com> wrote:
> A long time ago, (30.12.04), in a galaxy far, far away, George Carless wrote:
>
> :=> It was worth 70k when he was hired/given a raise to that much.  Suddenly it
> :=> isn't?  Did the job requirements change?  Unlikely.  Is there suddenly less
> :=> work for the position?  Probably not.  Just an employer with no loyalty to
> :=> its employees that says "Gee, I can get a young guy from out of country for
> :=> 20k less.  That'll reduce my budget and I'll probably get a bonus at end of
> :=> quarter/end of year."
> :=
> :=This is supply and demand.  Would you pay $70 for a good you could get
> :=elsewhere for $50?
>
> I would pay more for a product or service that had a proven history of
> satisfying whatever need I was trying to fulfill at the time over an
> unproven quantity.  This goes double when the need is a major part of my
> business.  You get what you pay for.
>
> As an example, I play collectible card games.  I can buy product by the box
> or case online, but I tend to buy at local card and game shops because it
> supports the local store and helps insure there are more places to play.
>
> So, yeah, I would pay (and have paid) $70 for something I could get
> elsewhere for $50.

The sheer irony of a bunch of linux geeks arguing that the more
expensive option is better is quite comical. Perhaps this can give you
some insight into how commercial software companies feel when they
hear of cheap/free OSS solutions being used in lieu of their own
products. To them, their product is every bit as (if not more)
valuable as the cheap/free product.

--
Jonathan