[ale] OT: H1B: PLEASE DISREGARD EARLIER POSTS

Jonathan Rickman jrickman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 12:06:10 EST 2004

> This is supply and demand.  Would you pay $70 for a good you could get
> elsewhere for $50?

Not to mention a case of the chickens coming home to roost. Remember
the wild days of 10k signing bonuses, new cars, and 6 figure incomes,
entry level sysadmins making >60k? What actually happened was that
geeks collectively decided that they would just hop around from job to
job (avg got down to less than 18 months at one point) taking bigger
salaries all the way and demanding much more than they were really
worth. In other words, they were milking the boom times for all they
were worth. Now, employers are simply returning the favor. IT salaries
got way out of hand for several years. Denying it isn't going to
change reality. You probably are not worth what you think you are, and
you may not even be getting paid quite what you are _really_ worth.
The pendulum has swung the other way, and we are at least a year from
it settling back down in the middle. Then the next batch of geeks will
start pushing it again and we'll end up with another few years of the
wage pendulum swinging back and forth wildly. As usual, those who do
not rock the boat will still end up being dragged along. Sad, but
true.

--
Jonathan