[ale] OT: H1B: PLEASE DISREGARD EARLIER POSTS

Jonathan Rickman jrickman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 22:33:45 EST 2004

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:10:43 -0500, George Carless <kafka at antichri.st> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 09:39:09PM -0500, Jerald Sheets wrote:
> > There was a huge conversation on the Washington DC Sage group about this
> > some time ago.
> >
> > They spoke about many cases were someone was fired at 70k for an H1B to take
> > that job from them at 50k or less during the bust.
>
> Well, just to play Devil's advocate-- perhaps the job wasn't *worth* the
> 70k?  Even 50k is a pretty decent salary, you know...

I might feel sympathy for the 70k employee if the company just up and
fires him or her. However, many companies will just cut to the chase
and tell you that you're gonna have to take a pay cut. In my opinion,
that's the honorable way of handling a situation like that. The
employee then has the option of taking the pay cut or taking a walk.
If my boss came to me and asked me to take a 10% pay cut in lieu of
getting the axe, I'd take the cut. If he asked for 15%, I'd ask for
some perks. If he asked for 20%, I'd politely inform him that I
planned to look for other employment but would be willing to work at
the reduced salary in the interim. At 25%, I probably just walk,
unless there were very clear terms of reinstatement at a clearly
defined date. Most folks wouldn't take a 1% cut in my experience. High
salaries often lead to inflated egos.

--
Jonathan