[ale] OT: H1B: PLEASE DISREGARD EARLIER POSTS

Jonathan Rickman jrickman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 18:46:20 EST 2004

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:30:25 -0500, Scott Castaline <hscast at charter.net> wrote:
> I'll say.
>  I've been working as a Pizza delivery, Security Officer, a cashier at
> Wal-mart and a warehouse worker for the last 4.5 years. I've all but
> given up hope of being a computer professional again.

I hear stories like this all the time, yet when my company seeks new
employees we are not exactly overwhelmed with qualified candidates.
Now I'm not casting aspersions on any list members, so no need to get
any feathers ruffled. Help me to understand.

Our last open developer position brought exactly 103 resumes. 54 of
those were totally unqualified for almost everything except entry
level desktop support. 16 were blindly applying for any position
related to IT.  7 didn't respond to initial contact. 6 never scheduled
an interview because they found other jobs. 3 rescheduled so many
times I finally just stopped talking to them. That left us with 17
interviews. 3 were no-shows!!! 5 were...ahem...good resume writers. Of
the nine left, 5 were currently employed and one had a salary
requirement that was absolutely nuts. So what we actually ended up
with was a grand total of:

1 competent developer who is probably still unemployed because he wont
take < 100k!!!
3 competent developers out of work
5 competent developers looking for change
5 liars who misrepresented their qualifications
3 lazy bums who didn't even make it to the interview
3 indecisive nitwits
6 newly employed cancellations
7 idiots who obviously don't need a job
16 resume droppers who add to the signal to noise problems in IT related hiring
54 wannabe dot-com folks who thought being able to spell www would get
them a job

Everyone I know reports similar results when hiring. So what's the
deal? Any unemployed folks want to post their particular
qualifications/experience so we can at least try to narrow it down to
certain specialties? Maybe an ALE resume post is in order?

--
Jonathan "yeah, I switched to gmail for listserv stuff...so sue me" Rickman