[ale] OT: H1B

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Wed Dec 29 17:08:50 EST 2004

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 04:45:40PM -0500, mainwizard at vei.net wrote:
> Things differ from place to place as well. There are a lot of unemployed
> techs in Atlanta, but how many will move to Mont., Minn., Calif. or NY
> for a job? One of the advantages an H1B visa holder has is that they do
> not have a life 'here' and, as such, will work where the jobs are. I
> know that there are many 'Citz' who are willing to move as well, but
> how many of the complainers are actively searching in ALL of the states.
My friend in Cali (SillyCon Valley) has been out of work for over 2 years.

My friend in NYC was out of work for a year, both experienced and talented
programmers.  Both own houses and would "take a bath" if they had to sell
but there's no work for U.S. programmers anywhere in this country.

One of my best friends (on ALE) is stocking shelves at Toys R Us 3rd
shift for close to minimum wage.  Another, a former programmer, is
driving a long-haul truck for $30k/yr.

> FYI, I am against the H1B visa system as currently abus...er, applied. I
> was out of work for 7 months and got my current job because the company
> can't afford the admin costs for an H1B and the program requires an
> insiders knowledge of the american school system. They weren't above
> hiring the cheapest contractors when extra manpower was required
> though. And those were all H1B's. The rank and file have presented a
> united front to management that any future hires (perm or contract)
> must have good english communications skills and a thorough knowledge
> of the basis for our product.

> If any H1B's match these basic requirements, they will be
> considered. But, according to the H1B visa requirements, non H1B's will
> be given preference.

> If only H1B's apply, what choice is there.
You're out of touch with reality.

If a H1B will work for next to nothing, of course they'll get the job.
Besides, often (and I've witnessed it being done), an employer will ask
the cheap H1B candidate to list all of his skills, regardless of whether
or not they are needed to do the job.

Then, the job listing will include all of the skills.  This illegal method
to lock out U.S. workers is wide-spread and completely unenforced.  I talked
directly with the assistant U.S. Attorney for N. Georgia, the one charged
with enforcing these laws, and he is not investigating ANY cases in all of
Georgia.

> Oops, kinda got to ramblin' there. I think there's a point in there
> somewhere. :-)

Yes, write your U.S. Senator or Congressman and demand his opinion.  If
it doesn't agree with you, throw the bum out!
> Ed.
Bob

snip