[ale] fraud

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 27 22:05:44 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 21:48 -0500, Geoffrey wrote:

> You may be new to the list.  This is a common occurance as the email
> addresses are picked out of the archives and spoofed.  I wouldn't bother
> doing anything about it.

It should be noted that this problem isn't unique to ALE or any other
mailinglist.  Several recent articles and studies on SPAM have shown how
spammers are using Google, and other search engines, to harvest valid
up-to-date email addresses.  The short-term solution is to modify
robots.txt to prevent search engines from searching ale.org.  The side
affect is that nobody can use google to search ale.org.  Either you want
to be public or you don't.

-Jim P.