[ale] OS Windows text editor for Unix files

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Thu Dec 23 23:00:36 EST 2004

ALErs -

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004, Christopher Bergeron wrote:

> Try Textedit -
> http://www.haxialsoftware.com/products/textedit/
>
> I think that's the one that I like.  I haven't used it in so long that
> I'm not certain it's the one that I like.

> Kevin Carstensen wrote:
> >>I'd suggest PFE, though it is no longer supported:
> >>http://www.lancs.ac.uk/people/cpaap/pfe/

I've found prebuilt W32 versions of Emacs and use them for general editing
in MsWin. I like them for context sensitivity from Ada to XML. Don't know
where to find it (mine came with a book on SGML), but a bit of searching
will probably find one. I don't remember if the MsWin native does 'pretty
printing', but I think it's worth a shot.

I don't know if that would meet your needs due to emacs' infamous command
set, but there are some advantages - like one tool does everything ...
well, almost.

 - John Mills
   john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu