[ale] Wifi weirdness

Joe Knapka jknapka at kneuro.net
Thu Dec 23 14:59:43 EST 2004

Richard <ratcheson at earthlink.net> writes:

> On Thursday 23 December 2004 12:58 pm, Joe Knapka wrote:
> > After iwconfig'ing the card as similarly as I can, iwconfig reveals
> > that the card is configured identically in each case, except that the
> > "Frequency" is set to 2.437Ghz on laptop A, 2.422Ghz on laptop B. This
> > seems the only pertinent difference between the two cases, but
> > iwconfig cannot change the frequency in either case ("operation not
> > supported"). So I am confused as to (a) how and why the frequency
> > would be set differently on the two machines, (b) how to change this,
> > and (c) whether there is some underlying issue that I need to address.
>
> They are set on different channels.  A is on  channel 6 and B is on channel
> 3.
> You can use iwconfig wlan0 channel nn
> to set the channel no.  That's assuming wlan0 is your wifi card.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? But "iwconfig eth0 channel 1"
complains "operation not supported". (BTW eth0 is definitely the
wifi card; there isn't another NIC in the machine, and
"iwconfig eth0 essid FOO" works fine.)

Thanks,

-- Joe

--
"Meet the new boss / Same as the old boss..." -- The Who
... Oh well, at least there's 2008.