[ale] linux recommendations/you won't believe this

Mark Wright mpwright at speedfactory.net
Wed Dec 22 22:05:34 EST 2004

The Windose computer is not a week old and she refuses to use it!

My mother in law just bought herself a new computer.  (my mom is on
Apple about to be replaced with Ubuntu as soon as Dow and I get dial up
working)  Her old machine (Mom-in-Law) is 700 mhz running 98SE.  She
was happy as a clam doing AOL games and crossword puzzles for hours but
she thought she needed to upgrade.  She got online and bought a pretty
expensive Gateway,  200g HD, dual DVD burners, 1gig of RAM and of
course Win XP home.

I set it up for her and walked her though signing on to AOL.  Whew!
Simple questions, the only traumatic part was wondering if we were
going to have to call to have her password reset because she couldn't
remember it.  The next day she is upset because her favorite crossword
puzzle wont run.  No Java!  Ha ha.  I briefly explained why Msoft
doesn't like products written by other companies and promised to come
by soon to make it work.

But not soon enough.  I still don't know what else about her new
purchase set her off but she called my wife and wants she or I to come
by and pick up the new computer because she is not going to use it.
She set her old one back up and won't listen to any of my truly kind
and patient words to persuade her to let me help her get used to using
it.

I told her she's not old enough to be this reactionary toward change
but she is adamant.  The new computer is still in her basement and I
will continue to try to get her to use it but I will most likely not
prevail.

... The moral to this story is, If your mother-in-law can't handle
moving from Windoze 98 to Windoze XP, run don't walk away from any urge
to suggest any other OS.

... And that my children is the story of how the Linux box with the
200G hd came to live at the Wright home.