[ale] linux recommendations

Mark Wright mpwright at speedfactory.net
Wed Dec 22 17:01:51 EST 2004

I second that recommendation.

  I have been very impressed with Ubuntu.  It is based on Debian and
uses apt which I think is great.  I haven't used too many of the latest
distros as a desktop (the last was FC2 and I use mandrake 9.2 at
home... should upgrade) but I like the way it works with USB memory and
disks.  I have to su umount to get rid of a USB key device on Mandrake
and had the same problem on FC2.  You don't want to have to explain how
to enter a root command in a terminal over the phone if you don't have
to.  :-)

The organization that sponsors Ubuntu is a pack of raging America
hating liberals.  If that doesn't put you off I would recommend it.  I
personally like my Linux ideology free.

I have several extra copies of their disto package.  I'll mail you a
copy if you like.

Mark