[ale] linux recommendations

James Baldwin jbaldwin at antinode.net
Wed Dec 22 11:17:54 EST 2004

On 22 Dec 2004, at 10:25, Barnes, Michael wrote:

> I am building a computer for my daughters and am considering
> installing a
> LINUX distro. Since, I will be away from the house (do to job), I need
> distro that is easy to install and maintain. This distro will need to
> be
> able to work on a wireless network and access a printer that is being
> hosted
> by windows xp pro.

Since this isn't for a Linux savvy technical monkey, your choice should
be based on stability and ease of package management (the latter is the
only measure I think worth anything nowadays when deciding on a Linux
distribution for a non-commercial purpose). I'd have the recommend
Debian stable.

The tools won't be bleeding edge, or anywhere even approaching current
but they will be stable and secure. Apt has an excellent package
manager, and with a little extra effort is very easy to cron updates
with exception handling (I'd be surprised if someone didn't already
distribute a script for this).

I don't know any distribution that will not "work on a wireless network
and access a printer...".