[ale] Hacked to spam??

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Mon Dec 20 20:02:26 EST 2004

Bob -

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004, Bob Toxen wrote:

> 186 messages sent is nothing.  If you had been "hacked to use as a
> spam relay" you'd see 10,000-1,000,000 messages sent.  Keep an eye
> on the logs (preferably using Logcheck instead of LogWatch), but I
> don't see this as evidence of any problems.

I'm sure you are right, particularly since (following Geoffrey's trail of
suggestions-as-questions &8-), I matched those 'Messages sent' counts
against specific inbound traffic I had read (or knowingly deleted). I
agree with your comment that Logwatch's digest was a bit misleading, as in
my misunderstanding what was meant by 'sent' in the reports.

Happy Holidays to all ALErs.

 - John Mills
   john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu