[ale] Question on Current Red Hat Update Policies

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Mon Dec 20 10:48:19 EST 2004

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 09:12:35PM -0500, Dow Hurst wrote:
> project requires "quality support" at a high level, then I'd compensate
> for the lessened code review on FC3 by using test server and client
> boxes to apply updates before rolling out to production.  I've been

Um, you should be doing this regardless of your distro.  Unless of
course you're paying someone else big $$$ to ensure this for you.

I used to have a pair of "production" servers under my desk (kept my
feet warm too!) that were the main test beds for updates and upgrades.
Coupled with the wonders of kickstart, it provided an easy way to test
stuff out, then roll back to a pristine known configuration if something
went wrong.

We also used our own distribution model for updates and such rather than
the distro stuff, specifically because of the control requirements.  If
we didn't run our own OA on it, then it didn't get sent to the field.

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy        				 ICQ: 1318344
Melbourne, FL 					 JID: pitha at myjabber.net