[ale] ssh for automated management

Mike Murphy mike at tyderia.net
Fri Dec 17 18:10:13 EST 2004

the danger you have using either option is a man-in-the-middle sort of
thing. Turning off known hosts checking means you might land on a
machine pretending to be one of your managed machines. Using trusted
hosts files could mean that someone could spoof your master machine's ip
address and access each managed host as if they were you. So, either
way, you'd be building a system that's insecure. I wouldn't really
recommend doing either over the open internet, but on a secured private
network, the risk might be acceptable.

Mike

David Corbin wrote:
> On Friday 17 December 2004 13:18, Mike Murphy wrote:
>
>>you *could* turn known hosts checking off for this, I suppose. Or use a
>>single trusted hosts file instead. That would be a lot cheaper (no
>>public keys).
>

> Well, no public keys to idenitfy hosts, right?  To be honest, this client just
> doesn't seem to care about security all that much.  I'm sure they're wiliing
> to assume that the packets are going to the right machine.
>

>>Mike
>>
>>Jim Popovitch wrote:
>>
>>>I'm wondering just how big .ssh/known_hosts will be on your mgmt
>>>station.  At some point having multiple mgmt stations, or chrooted
>>>environments, might make good sense.  Parsing a 3GB known_hosts file for
>>>every SSH connection might present some problems.
>>>
>>>-Jim P.

Mike Murphy
781 Inman Mews Drive Atlanta GA 30307
Landline: 404-653-1070