[ale] ssh for automated management

David Corbin dcorbin at machturtle.com
Fri Dec 17 16:59:58 EST 2004

On Friday 17 December 2004 12:14, Mike Murphy wrote:
> depending on what sort of stuff you are doing, how big any stuff you are
> pushing is, and how fast the network links are, 10000+ nodes is a lot of
> nodes to admin, no matter what the technique (but if you have 10000+
> nodes, I'm sure you know that).
>
> I guess its all a question of what exactly you're up to. If you were to
> try to ssh to each machine in series to do something (say echo "some
> param" into /etc/somefile), you might still be surprised by how much
> time that takes. Certainly, if you are thinking of ssh to replace some
> other terminal-like administration solution, like doing stuff in scripts
> over rsh, or over telnet with expect or something, its probably worth
> the extra overhead of encryption for added security though.
>
> I can tell you that I've found that even fully managing about 900 hosts
> has brought up some interesting problems. In this example, we use rsync
> to keep various configuration files, etc. in sync accross all the hosts.
> Once an hour, they each visit a dedicated rsync server to look for
> updates. Even using rsync with a server (instead of rsync over ssh),
> which is very efficient, we're starting to find that we might want to
> inject a second tier here. So, it looks like this:
>
> master server -> n number of "staging" servers -> x number of working hosts

Actually, not all nodes are created equal.  Each site has it's own server
node, so it's quite possible and in  some ways desirable to do a two-tier
system.

What I failed to mention, is this is really about managing software upgrades
automatically.  It's not something that will happen on an every day basis.
Short of serious problems, it would probably be once a moneth at most.  Even
then, it would likely be staged: 1 site for 2 days.  10 sites.  25 sites.
100, 250   the rest.