[ale] need working dial up

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Dec 17 10:35:47 EST 2004

Mark Wright wrote:

>> add 'noauth' to your options file
>>

> Its in there.  I commented out the auth option altogether and has no
> effect.  The text with the auth comment says that you should use the
> call option to keep authorization from happening with a specific user
> and not turn auth off completely.  I have tried all three ways, auth,
> noauth and #auth to no avail.

Sometimes you have to create a chat script to properly deal with the
connection.  You need to find out if they are using chap/pap or noauth.

If you have the setup, what you can do is run tcpdump/ethereal on the
same network and connect via a windows box.  You should be able to pick
up the sequence.

Alternatively, simply dial into the server via minicom and step through
the process to see what they are sending and expecting.

You do need to find out what the login info is, as you've noted, some
isps required funky stuff.

--
Until later, Geoffrey