[ale] need working dial up

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 16 17:12:10 EST 2004

William Bagwell wrote:

>On Thursday 16 December 2004 03:33 pm, Mark Wright wrote:
>

>>Is any one using a Linux machine with a modem.   I am willing to buy an
>>internal or another external or really anything that will make it work.
>>

>AFAIK all old ISA slot and externals work.  Only an occasional bit of
>mucking around in KPPP if it "thinks" it has found it on the wrong port.
>
>There are a few PCI modens which are *supposed* to work... Never had a bit
>of luck with any of them.
>
>Currently using a USR 5686 external through SmoothWall. Before SW I did all
>configuration directly in KPPP. Found that any done during install or
>through a "Wizard" was a waste of time.
>
>Are you using the correct user name and password for her ISP? Looks like you
>are conecting then getting kicked off.

Now that you mention the correct username/password combo, I think
earthlink uses some goofy way of entering those.  You either have to
prepend or append something to the username before it will let you login
using a standard dialer.  The details elude me right now, haven't had
earthlink for couple years.

Yes, I know prepend isn't a real word...  :-/

Calvin...