[ale] ISO image from a mounted CDROM

Aditya Srinivasan sriad at uab.edu
Wed Dec 15 17:33:28 EST 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Geoffrey wrote:

> Geoffrey wrote:
> > james at sumners.ath.cx wrote:
> >
> >> You, sir, have a weird version of dd. dd works at the device level and
> >> should not be able to read a device that is busy.
>
> Two processes can access the same device.  Right now I've got the
> following running:
>
> dd if=/dev/hdc of=foo.iso
> dd if=/dev/hdc of=foo1.iso

In agreement.

No cdrom drive to test this with, instead ....
To test this, I tried to read /dev/hda, as well as /dev/hda1 as root.
dd if=/dev/hda of=/home/sriad/out

Since I could do this, although it is mounted, I guess dd would also be
able to read a mounted cdrom drive.
The man page describes dd as
Copy a file, converting and formatting according to the options.

I can do this with a regular file
dd if=foo of=bar

In addition dd apparently has the ability to read device files.

--
Thanks,
sriad